A wide range of teaching approaches ranging from Inquiry approach, concept and skills based teaching, and the use of ICT make the learning of Humanities authentic and relevant and promote appreciation for the various Humanities disciplines. This year, we have harness the power of technology to bring students virtually on a fieldtrip in History and Geography lessons. The department has embarked on developing 360 degree videos on the Singapore River and the Sungei Khatib Bongsu to continue to bring the excitement of field based learning in Humanities.
During the full HBL period, Humanities teachers also got creative in developing and delivering their lessons. The principles of Assessment for Learning (AfL) practices continued during HBL as teachers harness a wide range of assessment tools to enhance students’ learning. We also used a wide variety of learning activities to engage students in the learning of Humanities.
- To engage students in the learning of Humanities so that they can excel academically and develop morally to be useful citizens in society.
- NUS Geography Challenge: To engage, empower and educate students on global issues and highlight the omnipresence of Geography in our everyday lives.
- Historical Investigation Learning Journey: To enable our students to inquire about an authentic historical issue and develop skills and attitudes to work individually and collaboratively.
- Geographical Investigation Learning Journey: To allow our students to analyse a geographical issue through fieldwork and develop skills and attitudes to work individually and collaboratively.
- Humanities Week: To immerse our students in activities that would provoke critical thinking of current affairs and develop empathetic understanding of real world issues.
- POA Experiential Learning: To enhance our students’ learning through observations of retail operations and authentic application of the subject in the real world.
The following students represented Yishun Sec in the 2020 NUS Geography Challenge:
- Ivan Liu 4E1
- Audrey Lee 4E1
- Lee Hui Hong 4E1
- Lee Hui Min 4E1
To our pleasure, two of our students clinched individual awards for their outstanding performance in the competition. They are:
- Ivan Liu achieved a Silver Award and,
- Audrey Lee obtained a Bronze Award
The following students represented Yishun Sec in the 2019 NUS Geography Challenge:
- Tam Su Xin 4E5
- Yeo Yong Wen 4E5
- Freddy Chen You Ren 4E5
- Kenneth Alvarez 4E8
To our pleasure, three of our students clinched individual awards for their outstanding performance in the competition. They are:
- Freddy Chen achieved a Gold Award
- Tam Su Xin achieved a Silver Award
- Kenneth Alvarez achieved a Bronze Award