- To develop students’ numeracy skills through logical reasoning, communicating and applications of concepts in the real life and to achieve our department vision of every student will excel and appreciate Mathematics
- To develop every student into a learner who will excel and appreciate Mathematics
- EMITS Day: To develop Secondary 1 students’ understanding of the multidisciplinary nature of English Language, Science, Mathematics and IT in relation to the real world.
- Kite Making: Derived from TLLM project based on constructivist approach in geometry where students explore concepts through kite making.
- Math Trail @ Garden by the Bay: Designed by teachers using iPads.
- Statistics Projects (Lower sec)
- Code for fun (Lower sec)
- Peer Tutoring: To allow students to communicate mathematically and reinforce their understanding through coaching and learning from their peers.
- Journal Writing: For students to reflect on their process of learning.
- Math Modeling: Students learn to tackle questions by stating assumptions, using and interpreting data in problem-solving.
- The use of ICAN principles in the teaching of low achievers in Mathematics.
- The use of flipped classroom approach in the teaching of Mathematics.
Highlights / Achievements
- Math Department organised the 6th National ArithmetEQ Challenge from 7 primary schools and 22 secondary schools on 21st May. 200 participants communicate mathematically and have a fun time forming equations.
- The Sec 2E Code for Fun projects were selected for showcase at Maker Faire and EduTECH Asia. Students presented and shared their projects on Randomiser and SOS (Save our Spine). Students programmed the arduino to be a 6-sided dice to learn about probability and to set alert when one’s backpack is more than 20% of his weight.
- The school has achieved 8 Distinctions and 23 Credits, 5 Merit awards at The University of New South Wales (UNSW) Math competitions. We would like to congratulate the following 8 Distinction Awardees :
- ARNOLD CHENG HENG KAI (Sec 1E4)
- POO YUAN WU , DEX (Sec 1E4)
- LEE GUAN YUN ALESSENDRO (Sec 1E6)
- PITPITUNGE EARL JOHN JERAMOS (Sec 1E6)
- LEE HUI HONG (2E5)
- YAP DONG SAM (Sec 2E6)
- LORPENPOP KEMMIN (2E7)