To develop students’ numeracy skills through logical reasoning, communicating and applications of concepts in the real life and to achieve our department vision of every student will excel and appreciate Mathematics.
- EMITS Day: To develop Secondary 1 students’ understanding of the multidisciplinary nature of English Language, Science, Mathematics and IT in relation to the real world.
- Kite Making: Derived from TLLM project based on constructivist approach in geometry where students explore concepts through kite making.
- Math cum NE Trail @ Garden by the Bay: A learning journey designed by our own teachers where students use ipads and solve problems relating to trigonometry, arithmetic
- Statistics Projects (Lower sec) : Students collect raw data on topics they like to find and analyse the data to draw conclusion through statistical concepts and charts
- Code I.T! (Lower sec)
Highlights / Achievements:
- Students’ thinking and reasoning is developed through the Math Modelling approach where projects and lessons are set in real life context.
- The EMITS programme was presented at MOE Excel fest and was awarded the Bronze Innergy Award in 2019.
- 6th National ArithmetEQ Challenge conducted biennially
- The Sec 2E Code for Fun projects were selected for showcase at Maker Faire and EduTECH Asia in 2018. Students presented and shared their projects on Randomiser and SOS (Save our Spine). Students programmed the arduino to be a 6-sided dice to learn about probability and to set alert when one’s backpack is more than 20% of his weight.
- AI-enabled Adaptive Learning system:Sec 1 students were involved in 4-day AI-enabled Adaptive Learning system for self-paced learning of Algebra. Students learned the related concepts by answering questions and engaging with the instructional videos and resources recommended by the system. These recommendations were made based on the students’ level of understanding of specific concepts. The students benefitted most from the immediate feedback and personalisation of learning provided by the AI-enabled Adaptive Learning system. The system provided students with targeted learning materials, feedback and questions to help them bridge their learning gaps.